Injectable treatments are some of the most popular services scheduled today. We understand why! Our clients get immediate or near-immediate satisfaction from their injectable treatments with zero downtime. They get personal care that, through the right products, can successfully address their cosmetic concerns in the most conservative way. Depending on the treatment area and product used, the results of injectables may last from a few months to 2 years. A question that many people have before they get Botox or another neuromodulator or dermal fillers is whether they can make their results last longer. We’ll discuss that here.
Factors Involved in the Lifespan of Injectables
All injectable products that we offer are formulated for temporary improvement. Over time, the body breaks down these substances and eliminates them. How quickly this happens can depend on several factors. These include:
- Location. Neuromodulators like Botox and Dysport are injected into muscles that have become tight and tense, pulling on the skin. Generally, the stronger the muscle, the faster the wrinkle-reducing product will break down. Dermal fillers also range in longevity. In this instance, it is the depth at which the filler is injected that may play a role.
- Injectable consistency. Neurotoxins tend to have a similar lifespan across the board even though some may spread farther than others. Dermal fillers, though, usually last longer when their consistency is denser. For example, Restylane Lyft may last a year or longer as a thicker dermal filler that is injected deeper beneath the skin for structural augmentation in the cheek area. Restylane Kysse may last a little less than a year. The consistency of this product is thinner for a softer, kissable result.
How You Can Promote Longer Lasting Injectable Results
Not all of the factors that influence the longevity of injectables are out of your hands. Some ways that you can help your body move more slowly in breaking down injectable products include:
- Neurotoxins like Botox work by absorbing into muscle tissue. You might help maximize absorption by gently moving the treated muscles after your injections. For example, if you get your frown lines treated, take a couple of minutes to gently frown and release the muscles.
- Avoid touching and massage. While injectable products are integrating into the target tissue, it is important not to disturb them (after that initial movement following neuromodulator treatment). In addition to refraining from touching the face, patients might sleep on their back the night of treatment.
- Stay hydrated. Hydration is essential for more resilient skin. One of the reasons the skin ages more quickly is that we are dehydrated. Drinking at least 64 ounces of water each day is critical not only for general dermatologic health but also essential to the mechanisms of dermal fillers. Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers work by binding to water molecules. Staying hydrated ensures that the body has sufficient water to plump the skin.
We love helping our clients feel amazing! Contact our Salt Lake City medical spa today at 385-388-8600 and schedule your consultation for dermal fillers, Botox, or other injectables.